A HIGH POWERED MISSION
With many energy projects in Turkey (and more to come) Tractebel Engineering has good reason to feel proud of its active participation in the Belgian Economic Mission to Turkey, led by HRH Prince Philippe of Belgium, accompanied by Minister of Foreign Affairs, Didier Reynders and close to 350 Officials and Belgian Enterprise CEO’s and representatives, from 15-19 October, 2012. Read more about this high powerd mission
UNVEILING GEBZE POWER PLANT
Still under construction, state-of-the art Gebze Yeni Elektrik 865 MW gas-fired combined-cycle power plant, on which Tractebel Engineering is providing services as Owner’s Engineer for UNIT International SA, was a highlight of HRH Prince Philippe’s tour. Read about the run-up to this contract
TURKEY’S POWER POTENTIAL
Thanks to a growing economy, increasing power consumption and the willingness of major Turkish energy and industrial Groups to invest in energy, Tractebel Engineering today is deploying more engineers than ever in Turkey to assist with the development and growth of the power sector. Find out more about Turkey’s power potential
- Tractebel Engineering presence and activity in the power and gas sectors in Turkey is and has been commercially supported in Istanbul since 1985 through our local agent Nasuhi Candarli.
- Coyne et Bellier opened an office in Ankara in 1999 – today it is home to 58 employees providing specialised engineering services in the hydro sector.
A HIGH POWERED MISSION
With many energy projects in Turkey (and more to come) Tractebel Engineering has good reason to feel proud of its active participation in the Belgian Economic Mission to Turkey, led by HRH Prince Philippe of Belgium , accompanied by Belgian Minister of Foreign Affairs, Didier Reynders and close to 350 Officials and Belgian Enterprise CEO’s and representatives, from 15-19 October, 2012.
AN IMPORTANT AGENDA
Joining the high level Belgian delegation that also included, Benoit Cerexhe, Minister of Brussels region and Pol De Witte, the Belgian Ambassador in Turkey, the presence of several Tractebel Engineering representatives, and Georges Cornet, CEO Tractebel Engineering, was a clear indication of the importance of this market to the company. Already active on several energy projects in Turkey, Tractebel Engineering has long recognised the enormous potential the country holds for fruitful partnerships and long-term cooperation in the energy field where there is both a need and a willingness to develop important power projects.
Among the high-level meetings and state visits, Tractebel Engineering’s good work and reputation in Turkey came under the spotlight twice during the delegation’s visit.
- On 16th October 2012, in the presence of HRH Prince Philippe and the Belgian delegation, a contract was signed with AKFEN Holding appointing Tractebel Engineering to deliver consultancy services for the development and possible extension of its new Mersin (450 to 570 MW) CCPP project.
- On 17th October, at the invitation of Mr Ünal Aysal, Chairman of Unit International SA, a leading power generation and trading company in Turkey, and of Mr Georges Cornet, CEO Tractebel Engineering, HRH Prince Philippe visited the site and unveiled a plaque commemorating this visit to Gebze Power Plant.
UNVEILING GEBZE POWER PLANT
Still under construction, state-of-the art Gebze Yeni Elektrik 865 MW gas-fired combined-cycle power plant, on which Tractebel Engineering is providing services as Owner’s Engineer for UNIT International SA, was a highlight of HRH Prince Philippe’s tour.
The 865 MW Gebze power plant boasts the latest technologies which ensure it will achieve one of the highest efficiency rates in its category (57.9% net efficiency LHV) and flexibility in operation – both essential factors in a competitive electricity market. Located near to Istanbul in a region where reliable power supply is needed to feed the heavy industry of the Kocaeli Province, the merchant plant designed for heavy cycling will meet the highest of environmental standards with its low emission values.
TRACTEBEL ENGINEERING’S ROLE
Tractebel Engineering is entrusted by owner UNIT International to perform the following activities for Yeni Elektrik:
- Consolidation of a bankable feasibility study regarding the development, organisation and predicted economic results for the CCGT Project for financing purposes
- Selection of EPC contractor
- Owner’s Engineer activities during project implementation
“Our presence in Turkey has been built on mutual respect for the expectations of our customers and the recognition of our expertise in the field of energy Engineering. The Gebzé visit was an excellent opportunity to show the contribution of our engineers to the development of another cornerstone of Turkey’s economic tissue. ” Georges Cornet, CEO of Tractebel Engineering
TURKEY’S POWER POTENTIAL
Thanks to a growing economy, increasing power consumption and the willingness of major Turkish energy and industrial Groups to invest in energy, Tractebel Engineering today is deploying more engineers than ever in Turkey to assist with the development and growth of the power sector.
Turkey’s economy has been nurtured by careful and strategic economic restructuring since 2002. While many countries struggle through the economic downturn, Turkey expects 3-5% economic growth in 2012. With energy consumption increasing at 8% annually, energy means good business for many major Turkish Groups like UNIT, ANADOLU, SABANCI, ZORLU and more – who are investing in energy projects as part of their, often very diverse, business portfolios.
“Based on the rapid growth in electricity demand, Turkey is under significant pressure to build new power generation capacity –tentatively planning to double its current capacity within a decade – and dramatically increase gas supplies to the country. This is why one of the major places of growing business for Tractebel Engineering is the Turkish market where our engineers bring their expertise to investors to help them securing their investment and managing construction risks ” Patrick Wilmart, Commercial Director Tractebel Engineering
A VALUED PARTNER IN ENERGY – PAST…
Turkey is a country in which Tractebel Engineering and the GDF SUEZ Group has had vested interests for some decades; Tractebel Engineering acted as Owner’s Engineer for the original construction and later expansion of the LNG terminal of Marmara-Ereglisi developed by BOTAS; Another major gas project was the Izmir and Iskenderun LNG terminals developed in association with Turkish firm PARMAS; the Baymina gas-fired power plant developed by GDF SUEZ is another early feather in our cap.
Coyne et Bellier, today’s commercial Hydro division of Tractebel Engineering (France), has also been active in Turkey since 1980 and has offices in Ankara – major Hydropower references include:
- OYMAPINAR 185 m arch dam, 540 MW for DSI
- SIR 102 m arch dam, 315 MW for CEAS
- BERKE 201 m arch dam, 510 MW for CEAS
- BIRECIK 72 m gravity dam, 672 MW for Birecik Co.
… AND PRESENT
The most current Tractebel Engineering projects in Turkey include:
- MERSIN CCPP 475 to 570 MW for AKFEN ENERGY
- SARKOY CCPP 900-1200 MW for BILGIN ENERGY
- YENI GEBZE CCPP 865 MW for UNIT INTERNATIONAL
- KAZAN CHP 400 MW for CINER GROUP
- GERZE/SINOP CFPP 2 x 600 MW for ANADOLU ENDUSTRI HOLDING
- ADANA/GOLOVASI ‘SUPERCRITICAL’ CFPP 2x 660 MW for GDF SUEZ ENERGY INTERNATIONAL
- ARTVIN (under construction) 180 m arch dam, 332 MW for DOGUS ENERJI
- IRAN-TURKEY –EUROPE 1,800 km GAS PIPELINE with SEBAT. Tractebel Engineering is providing consulting services related to the Turkish crossing of this huge gas pipeline project. This is seen as a crucial project for Europe’s energy development.